We envision excellent government facilities, efficiently and innovatively designed, constructed and maintained by a highly qualified proactive, caring, financially responsible Public Works Department team in partnership with the Ministry and our valued customers.
Our mission for 2005 – 2008 is to make the Public Works Department the most preferred service provider to our customers. Through the implementation of a re-engineered programme we shall:
It is difficult to determine when the Public Works Department was officially established. Colonial reports have recorded activity as early as 1907 including road works, the erection of piers, schools and repairs to the courthouse building and fencing.
It was not until the early 1950s, however, that the first reference to full time staff in a Public Works Department was reported. The 1951-1952 Colonial Reports listed the department’s staff as a superintendent of works, a clerk and a varying number of daily paid carpenters and general handymen. Many years later, with the implementation of the Cayman Islands Constitution in November 1972, the organisational structure was formalised.
The director of the department, then called chief engineer, reported to the member of the Executive Council responsible for communications and works, and served as the government’s chief technical advisor on engineering matters.
The department was divided into three main areas of operation:
Section 1 was headed by the executive engineer, section 2 by the deputy chief engineer, and section 3 by the contracts officer.
Today the Public Works Department has expanded quite considerably. Though still divided into three sections - Finance and Administration; Development and Planning; and Operations and Works – the department now has 143 staff members. Recent projects designed and project managed by the department include:
Last Updated 2014-04-22